What is Poly Gel?
Glamour Poly Nails Gel Starter Kit and Ultimate Kit are a complete portable gel polish kit and a true hybrid between hard gel and acrylic.
Glamour Poly Gel was inspired by a desire to create a product that keeps everything nail techs like about acrylic and hard gel systems while removing the aspects they don't like. Poly Gel is more flexible than acrylic,stronger than hard gel and lighter than both. Unlike hard gel, Poly Gel is not self-leveling but stays where you place it, making it easier to shape. Unlike acrylic, it doesn't harden until it's cured under an UV lamp.
How to make nail extensions with Poly Gel - a Step By Step Guide with Video
Video credit: YouTube User Laurart
Step 1: Prepare your nails
- Remove excess dead skin and cuticle surrounding the nails
- Clean and buff your nails - the rougher the surface the better the adhesion
- Apply base coat to promote adhesion between nail and nail extension. We recommend the Elite99 UV-cure base coat which is formulated to complement Glamour Poly Gel products
Step 2: Apply the poly gel
- Select the appropriate nail form from the nail form pack. You have to size it properly for each and every finger
- Squeeze a small amount of gel out of the tube and transfer it onto the nail form
- Using the brush tool and slip solution provided in our kits, pat and shape the gel into place, making sure the gel is not too thick near the cuticles.
- Position and press the gel-filled nail forms onto your finger nails firmly. Remove the excess Poly Gel that oozes out from under the nail form (typically near the cuticle area) with the brush and slip solution.
- Also neaten the front end of the nail extension with the brush and slip solution so that it takes the shape of natural nails. That way not much shaping will be required after the form is removed.
- Cure under an UV lamp for at least 60 seconds. Note: the gel will not harden unless exposed to UV light.
Step 3: Final touchup
- File and shape your poly gel nails with a grit file
- Apply top coat (optional), nail art or just leave them nude
- Glamour Poly Gel is light (UV) sensitive. Be sure to work in a dimmer area away from doors and windows
- Select nail forms that leave ample space in between the form and your natural nails for the gel. Keep in mind that the gel will take up some space. You'll need to leave some space for it
- When shaping the gel on the nail form, note that the gel should be thickest in the middle of the form. The gel will spread outwards to the cuticle end and front end of the form when you press the form onto your finger. Make sure the gel is not too thick near your cuticles
Q: What exactly is the slip solution for?
A: Poly Gel is a viscous gel that is difficult to shape on its own. The slip solution reduces the viscosity (or tackiness) of the gel, making it much easier to shape. To shape Poly Gel, simply dip brush into slip solution and dap the gel into shape. Use more slip solution if necessary. The slip solution can also be used to remove the excess gel that may ooze out when you press the gel-filled form onto your natural nail.
Q: My nail extensions fall off after a while. Why is that so and what can I do about it.
A: If your nail extensions fall off, it is likely that you have used too much gel. Reduce the amount of gel and try again. It does take a little practice! ;) Also, it is important to prep your nails by buffing your nails and applying a layer of base coat as described above. We highly recommend the Elite99 UV-cure base coat which is formulated to complement Glamour Poly Gel products. One other thing to note is that you need to press down hard on the gel-filled forms to improve adhesion, as shown in the video. Lastly, be sure to cure your extensions under a UV lamp for at least 60 seconds to ensure complete curing of the Poly Gel extensions
Q: The nails form in my kit are difficult to fit. What can I do about that?
A: As with all other nail products on the market, the nail forms provided in the kit are of assorted sizes and shapes. They are sized and shaped to cater to the requirements of the majority of users. If nothing in our kit fits, we recommend using the nail forms you currently use or visiting your local salon to find forms that fit your nails better.
Q: How do I remove the Poly Gel nail extensions?
- The nail gel will stay on for up to 3 weeks
- Take off the majority of the product with a grit file. DO NOT file into the natural nail
- Gently buff down the enhancement leaving a thin application on the nail.
- Lightly buff the nail and blend the remaining enhancement into your natural nail